Friday, December 19, 2008

2nd Quarter


This was a pretty hectic quarter for me. Fall always seems to be anyways. I am SO glad it's over! I don't know why, but this was a very stressful 10 weeks for me! Maybe it's because I had InDesign, and I can't stand that program!! It's very boring to me. I guess I will probably not be working in the magazine field anytime soon! ha! I'll stick to labels. Illustrator is way more fun for me. Despite that, I STILL got an A in InDesign. Which, lets face it, wasn't hard. I still stressed about my final, but it all came together at the end. I got 100% of my points over all for the class. Yay me! I'm not going to bother posting any of the work I did here because, frankly, it's boring, and there isn't much to see! It was mostly in class work anyways. Not too much on the creative side.
Form and Space, on the other hand, was fun! I think I got the point of the whole thing by the end, and the projects were enjoyable, so that's what I'm going to post. The first project was a real pain in the a**, but once I finally had my breakthrough, I really got into it. The process was strange to me. We had to pick ten magazine images, and then trace the parts that we felt were focal points, or interesting. Then we had to combine the ten in different ways to come up with thirty new sketches. This was the part I found to be useless. A lot of the new sketches wound up being pretty redundant. And I wasn't sure exactly where we were going with the assignment, so I was baffled by the work load. But suddenly, around sketch number 23 or 24, I had a breakthrough and I was able to see things in the abstract manner that we were supposed to be looking for. I made the connection I guess. Next we had to pick the five we liked best and refine them on bristol using black ink. That wasn't too bad. The we mounted those five and picked the one we liked best to enlarge into a plan of sorts. The plan would be used to create a model out of foam core. This is where things got fun. 
The building phase was hard in the beginning. It's hard to take something from 2D and make it 3D. But, again, I had a breakthrough and really went to town. After we built the model, we then had to add texture to it. Most everyone used some type of construction paper, except one fun person who used those bottle brush things which looked pretty cool. I chose to use spray on dry wall texture, not knowing how much I would wind up spending on it in the long run. That stuff runs 20 bucks a can, and I used 5 cans!! Never again, but I liked the results! I wanted to leave the whole thing white. I liked how it looked without color, but during the critique, a few people mentioned that they thought it needed color to make it stand out more. I am STILL not 100% convinced that it's better with color. You have to know when to let things be the way they are. I think what happened was most people are afraid of so much blank space. I heard the comment a lot that the whole model made them feel "uneasy". I LOVED to hear that!! But, I added the color anyways since this is a class, not a personal project. All in all, I like it, and it's sitting in the student gallery/lobby as I type.



Next we had to do a couple of collages. One of texture, and one a typography collage. The texture collage was pretty straight forward. Find pictures that have good texture, and arrange them in an rows on 11 x 17. The typography collage was a pain in the a** also. We had to pick a theme, and then cut individual letters out of magazines and arrange them to represent the theme. I chose "envy" so I cut out all green letters to surround the word "envy". Green with envy. Get it? hehe


There's more to post. We had another group project that came out pretty decent. I'll post those pictures later. Right now, it's time for the chirstmas party at work! Yay Booze! And I'm going to relax finally since this quarter contributed to many a sleepless night. What ever will I do with myself for three who weeks? Work on my personal art I maybe?


No comments: